Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sympathy Saturday --continuing with #9 Mounsey Little - "The Death of the Farm"

continuing ........ 

             "LITTLE'S" are my Mothers Fathers line
PARENTS
Isaac (1806-1863) & Jane (Mounsey) (1812-1867) LITTLE   [2nd Great Grandparents ]

Siblings of Hudson's.........
doneMary LITTLE (1831- ?) -          [Great Grand Aunt]
doneJohn LITTLE (1832-1861)         [Great Grand Uncle]
doneAnne LITTLE (1835-?)              [Great Grand Aunt]
doneWilliam LITTLE (1837-1843)     [Great Grand Uncle]
doneIsaac LITTLE (1840-?)               [Great Grand Uncle]
doneHUDSON LITTLE 1843-1934) [Great Grand Uncle]
doneJane Eliza LITTLE 1846-1867)   [Great Grand Aunt]
doneJames LITTLE 1849-1855)        [Great Grand Uncle]
Mounsey LITTLE (1851-1940) ...........[My Great Grandfather]
Joseph LITTLE (1852-1932)     [Great Grand Uncle]


I hoped that I would have more pictures of my Great Grandfathers farm but I find I don't really - I guess I should say I have a couple of distance ones but not too much with details..........

 The barn and the farmhouse plus the pond at the bottom with the ice house next to pond (not shown). At some point in time Mounsey and sons also delivered ice. I have some memories of the cattle, the bull and the chickens..... I was very young when I visited and it was Uncle Joe and Aunt Jennie's home. My little brother and I got to feed the chickens and Uncle Joe allowed us to gather eggs too. We would sit on the old wooden fence coming out from the barn and watch the HUGE bull in the pasture. I remember he was huge and scary. The farmhouse seemed to dark and a scary place with dozens of rooms.  I remember the wrap around porch that we played on..........  so much space for children.


Then there is this Apr 1964 news article about the old Mounsey Little barn being torn down to make way for property improvements and the old Little farmhouse was converted into 4 separate apartments.

I was just graduating from high school at this point.








AND below you can see the change. The new apartment building is complete. The pond and ice house are also gone.

When my parents took a trip back to New York somewhere in the late 1960's, my Mom, who lived with her Grandparents (Mounsey & Mary Little) in the 1920's at the farmhouse went into shock when she actually saw the change - she has never been back.  

Other new homes are off on the left fork of the road. Yes what a big difference. Just sad. I am very slow sometimes to make or accept change ...........


No comments:

Post a Comment