Thursday, January 30, 2014

Those Places Thursday......... FGS in San Antonio, Texas


Looking down the road......  what is being offered? what do I want to attend? Who is offering what?

 

I just made my hotel reservations for Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Conference - August 27- September 1, 2014 in San Antonio, Texas. I will register for the conference soon. FGS always supports the society's and has special sessions just to help society's and their members. I always attend, I always learn, grow and do lots of networking. I try to bring back information back to my own society to help and support them. "Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society"  I find it is a very worthwhile conference to attend. I see there are two large genealogical librarys in the area too. San Antonio Public Library / Texana Genealogical Department. (oh it sound similar to Allen County Library in Fort Wayne Indiana) AND I see there is the San Antonio Genealogical and Historical Society Library. Have not checked out either yet. The catalog will be what will tell which one I will go too,  but that is on my list of 'To Do's'. Unfortunately I don't have any Texas ancestors so the society library might not help me but I won't rule it out yet,  I heard that there is a genealogical library in Texas that is the third largest genealogical library in the United States if not the world, so I am wondering if the San Antonio Public Library isn't it.  Anyone out there know?

The schedule is not up yet so won't send in registration till that comes up. It says sometime in January it will be available - oppps only 1 day left.

I have heard alot of good things about the Riverwalk area in San Antonio from my hubby and other friends. So I am looking forward to seeing some of it while I am there. There will be some pre- conference activities so I want to check those out and maybe see the Alamo again. It has been way too many years ago when my family visited this area. I don't really remember alot about it now. I see that the hotel (Sn Antonio Marriott Riverwalk Hotel) does not provide free shuttle service from the airport but they do have a service listed ($), plus taxi service ($$). Need to make those reservations after I make airline reservations.

It just popped into my brain,  I brought home all kinds of maps and information about conference (sames as online) and about San Antonio and the area from the FGS Conference 2013. Now where did I end up putting it??  I better start looking but not till after I get back from Salt Lake City.

My other top ones would be RootsTech & So California Jamboree. AND I am already registered for both of them. RootsTech is this coming week in Salt Lake City Utah. The Jamboree is in Burbank California in June. I am also checking for Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, or Connecticut State Conferences- these would be much more concentrated conferences for those states. The Ohio State conference this year is in Sandusky Ohio in April. Just cannot make up my mind about that one yet.

So much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment