Sunday, January 12, 2020

week three: Long Line -  finally I made a connection.....


My third cousin once removed, Gordon Little, in New Zealand has a young daughter NOHO Little. Well, not so young, she is about 22-23years old now. I wondered about the name, I asked myself right away, "Is this a nickname or her real name?" 

It turns out she is named after Gordon's great grandmother on his mothers side. Noho is a shortened name and is of Maori origins.  I have to confess I know nothing about the Maori people, so I will be doing more research.

ANYWAY, below is her birth name.............


  NOHOTAKITAHIWERETARANGIANEWATUHIWAIWAIPOUATITOITI  


It means:  "The Little one who sits along beside the sacred flowing waters of the forest"

YES, I am wondering how to pronounce it too. Any guesses?

                                            [It does fill the 'LINE' with 49 letters 'LONG']

I have not been able to find anything on Gordons mothers side  (Eva Tito who married Maurice Wilson Little)....... my searches come up empty. I guess that will be a family that I will research when I get back to Salt Lake City. I do know that the immigrant Hudson Little arrived in New Zealand from England in 1864. Hannah Doggett, his wife, arrived as a young woman with her family in 1857 also from England. I do have quite a bit on the family but now that we getting down to the living it is not so easy to find information. I did receive a new email for Gordon so I hope to hear back from him soon.

RESEARCH:  1) more on the Maori people; 2) Eva Tito's family line. I want to know about this great grandmother of Gordon's; 3) get in contact with Gordon and hopefully his sister Tania.

                      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is a little of what I found on the Maori people that I feel is interesting......  good start but obviously more research is needed since it helps me to understand the whole picture and the people that live in this country.

https://www.newzealand.com/us/maori-culture/

Māori are the tangata whenua, the indigenous people, of New Zealand. They came here more than 1000 years ago from their mythical Polynesian homeland of Hawaiki. Today Māori make up 14% of our population and their history, language and traditions are central to New Zealand’s identity.

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ori_people

The Māori (/ˈmri/Māori pronunciation: [ˈmaːɔɾi] (About this soundlisten)[6]) are the indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand. Māori originated with settlers from eastern Polynesia, who arrived in New Zealand in several waves of waka (canoe) voyages somewhere between 1320 and 1350.[7] Over several centuries in isolation, these settlers developed their own distinctive culture whose language, mythology, crafts and performing arts evolved independently from other eastern Polynesian cultures.
The arrival of Europeans in New Zealand, starting in the 17th century, brought enormous changes to the Māori way of life. Māori people gradually adopted many aspects of Western society and culture. Initial relations between Māori and Europeans were largely amicable, and with the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, the two cultures coexisted. Rising tensions over disputed land sales led to conflict in the 1860s, and massive land confiscations. Social upheaval, and epidemics of introduced disease took a devastating toll on the Māori population, which fell dramatically. By the start of the 20th century, the Māori population had begun to recover, and efforts have been made to increase their standing in wider New Zealand society and achieve social justice.

NOTE: if you leave a comment please leave your contact information too, Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment