Sunday, September 14, 2014

Motivation Monday - NEHGS comes West for the Day


I was very fortunate to attend the "New England Historic Genealogical Society"  NEHGS Comes West: Navigating New England and New York Resources" It was held at the famous Hotel Shattuck Plaza in their Crystal Ballroom.........

,...... California Genealogical Society and Library partnered with NEHGS to put on this event.

I renewed my CGS membership and received a free copy of  "A Most Dreadful Earthquake, a first hand account by Dorothy Fowler ". I also renewed my NEHGS membership.

The Crystal Ballroom was a large room, very elegant with the old world look & feel, comfortable chairs, fake windows with mirror inserts (gave the room a much roomier space than it was)  ......  unfortunately the room was hard to cool down (it was warmer than usual in Berkeley)  ..........  coffee, tea and water were available all day and in the afternoon SURPRISE cookies appeared.






The four sessions that Chris Child
and Alice Kane
both from NEHGS presented ..............

Migrations Into and Out of New England, 1620-1900, Chris Child

Boston in a Whirlwind: A Primer Tour of 10 Repositories, Alice Kane


NEHGS Sources for New York Research, Chris Child


I Had Him in My Sights, and POOF! Strategies for Relocating the Disappearing Ancestor, Alice Kane

....... lots of good information and resources for me to follow-up with and investigate further. No, New York is not one of the New England states but it is a border state, it has a big impact on New England,  and many migrated there from one of the other New England states so they are doing a concentration on New York too.(and I am so glad) Since I have New York ancestors I was thrilled and very interested in the third session. I do have ancestors from Connecticut (and Massachusetts -I think). I think that part of the Connecticut ancestors originally came down from the Massachusetts Bay area, so I am wondering is that where they entered the United States.  You can see I am really looking forward to checking out their catalog to see what they do have and how they can further my research.

For some reason I have a hard time remembering which states make up the New England area..... I had to look it up again and the 6 states New England refers too are ........  Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut.

As far as I know right now I have one line (TROWBRIDGE) that I believe came down from the New England area - Massachusetts to New Haven Connecticut. I believe that they enter the US through Boston but need to research and find some documentation.

My fifth (5) great grandfather Benjamin BRISTOL (1721 New Haven CT-1790 Washington NY) married my 5th great grandmother Thankful TROWBRIDGE (1729 New Haven CT- ?unknown). They married 1744 in Waterbury CT before coming to New York.  I believe the TROWBRIDGE line goes back through Massachusetts to England. AND the other way from New Haven, to New York - Washington, Argyle, Summerhill, and eventually to Cortland all in New York. My research for the BRISTOL line begins in New Haven, Connecticut starting around 1625 ........  maybe there is a connection in Massachusetts. I will be looking there next, along with the TROWBRIDGE line.  I did download a TROWBRIDGE book through the Salt Lake City Library so that may have some basic information I am looking for.

Any BRISTOL'S and TROWBRIDGE'S out there?

And I am off.....................


No comments:

Post a Comment